Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Yeeesss!!!

Do you ever have a training run where everything goes great, you run strongly, and feel you really achieved something?

That was tonight.

I suppose the cutback week has had its affect. Tonight was a tempo run: 10 miles with the middle 5 at half marathon pace. The route had a hill in the middle, so it was more half marathon effort than pace. It was a club run. I ran with Shelly, who I've always looked up to as a role-model fast runner. I felt great!

One thing though - I may have discovered the reason for the recent bouts of stitch: talking! The last 2 training runs where I've had stitch, was where I was pushing hard and talking at the same time. I started talking to Shelly and immediately started to get stitch. I stopped talking and it subsided. Thinking back to the races, despite not talking quite so much, I was working much harder and trying to get a few words of reply out to Richard on my shoulder. There was also the guy who was chatting me up with a mile to go in the 10k! In that particular case I was only able to grunt a few words back to him. Who the hell chats 5 miles into a 10k?

I think I need to become the strong silent type. Might be tricky!

Back at tonight's tempo run, here's the splits for the middle 5 miles:

LapPacebpm% max HR
18:0214785%
27:1214684%
37:3514785%
47:4914684%
57:5214584%


That's the fastest club run I've ever done, and my heart rate was nicely under control too!

No comments: