Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Bed socks!

Let me tell you about my bed socks!
Here they are:
Susie's bed socks
They were lovingly knitted by my good self, to the exact measurements of my lower legs.

Why?

Last year, with niggle after niggle, my physio recommended wearing long socks in bed, to keep my legs warm, keep the blood flowing, and speed recovery. I tried a number of pairs, but being outdoor socks, they had rather too much elastic round the calves and in fact had quite the opposite effect on blood flow. The ski socks were particularly bad. I couldn't find suitable socks anywhere, so decided to knit my own.

I knitted a swatch to measure stitch count, measured my legs circumference at multiple points up to my knee, worked out the pattern, and started knitting. 2 nights later voila!

I only started wearing them again about a month back as my mileage crept up. As soon as I started wearing them, the problems with tight calf muscles went away. They really do work!

They are things of beauty! I like my bed socks!

4 comments:

Windsurfin' Susie said...

RB,
I think compression socks would reduce the blood flow and hamper recovery. They obviously work for Paula when she's running, but I doubt she wears them in bed. (I wonder if Gary has any favourite outfits?)

Evil Pixie said...

this is interesting as I went to the physio this week and he said my sore lower leg related to excessively tight calves .... I wonder ... mind you hubby would die of laughing!

Windsurfin' Susie said...

Go on Kim, get the needles out! You know you want to! Knitting's the new... something or other.

Windsurfin' Susie said...

There you go RB - questions answered in new posts.