Sunday, March 20, 2005

Decisions, decisions!

Another dreadful week! After severe diarrhoea on Sunday, I had 2 days rest, and tried to run again on Wednesday evening. The result: diarrhoea on Thursday morning. Was this cause and effect? Immodium took immediate effect, so I thought I'd try an exploratory run with the club on Thursday evening: I couldn't! I felt dreadful! I'm sure this was the effect of the virus, if that's what it is, (no test results yet to confirm this) rather than dehydration from that morning's episode. I decided to admit defeat and have 3 days of complete rest.

As I write this, I feel better. My stomach seems to be returning to normal, and provided I get no symptoms tomorrow (Monday) I'll try a gentle run. I will have missed 2 weekend long runs, and although I have done some running in the last 2 weeks, I have still missed most of a fortnight's training. Assuming I can resume tomorrow, and build through the week to get back to normal for next weekend, what are my options?

My main aim for London this year is to get under 3:45, in order to qualify as 'Good For Age' for next year, and avoid having to go through the ballot. Having initially been confident I could achieve this, I now have doubts about whether I can do it, particularly in London with all the crowds and associated delay. I have the option to defer and guarantee a place for next year, but this seems defeatist. Here are what I see as the options:

Option 1: Carry on as (near) normal
I hopefully get a full week in next week, and am OK to try a 20-miler next weekend (although originally I was going to try 22 miles). The plan then continues as before up to the big day, but maybe with less of a taper needed because of the enforced rest I've just endured.
Pro
The original plan!
Con
Pressure to cram the training in when I might not be fully recovered.
If I fail to get 3:45, I have to run another marathon later in the year to get the qualifying time - I'd wanted to do a 'fun' marathon like Beachy Head, where 3:45 is not possible.
I'm not sure trying a 20-mile training run so soon after a lay-off will be sensible - I think it will hurt! Hence option 2

Option 2: A 2 week taper
Rather than attempt a 20-miler next weekend, I do maybe 15 miles. I then do 20 miles with 2 weeks to go and 12-15 miles with 1 week to go.
Pro
More time to build fitness back up
Probably don't need a 3 week taper for recovery, after missing so much training.
Con
The benefits of a 20-mile run take 3-4 weeks to kick in, or so I have read.
Same problem as option 1 about missing 3:45.

Option 3: Defer and enter the Shakespeare marathon
Entries are still open for Shakespeare, one week after London. I might be able to arrange transfer of my friend's number, although organisers are not always keen on doing this. I will only run with an official number though - I don't approve of the swapping that goes on, and I also need to prove that I personally have run a qualifying time
Pro
An extra week's training.
Can do the last 20-miler 3 weeks before, and still do a marathon pace long run rehearsal (10 miles marathon pace in a 15-16 mile run) 2 weeks prior - the original plan.
Shakespeare won't have the delays of the crowding at London, so should make 3:45 easier to achieve.
No pressure - if I fail to get 3:45, I still have a place in London next year.
Con
Missing London!

Option 4: Defer and start training for Wolverhampton in September
I cut my losses and start training to get a qualifying time at Wolverhampton.
Pro
No pressure - I can ensure I am 100% recovered and not risk pushing.
I can have a big build up to Wolverhampton without having to first recover from a marathon.
Whatever the outcome I have a guaranteed place in London next year.
Con
A touch defeatist!


I will wait another week before making a decision. At least I have my options mapped. Fingers crossed for my recovery!

No comments: