Saturday, March 26, 2005

Decision made!

London here I come!

After 5 days of running, including a slow 10-mile run on Thursday, I thought I'd give a 20-mile run a go. It went better than I could have hoped. That's done my confidence the world of good.

Today was also a first in one respect. As it was Saturday, we had this novel notion of public transport! This gave me an option I don't normally have on a Sunday (well not if I don't want to wait 2 hours for a bus). To avoid the monotony of another long run along the same route from home, I took the bus to Chichester and ran home. Now how's that for commitment! No bottling out half way along this one.

I went out of the house wearing shorts - a safe bet - but with 2 layers on top. I figured I might get chilly first thing waiting for the bus. How wrong I was! With the hot sun on me, I was already feeling warm. Arriving in Chichester I was down to just a T-shirt, and 3 miles into the run I was down to crop-top and shorts. What a fantastic day! 16 degrees and unbroken blue sky sunshine. Maybe not the warmest summer's day, but for the end of March this was amazing. Loads of sweating and several stops to buy more water.

I felt OK. My legs held up fine. I kept it slow and steady and held my pace right to the end. This sets me up nicely for the re-introduction of work sessions next week: something that's been absent for 3 weeks now.

I'm still not confident I'll get my 3:45 at London, but I'm going to give it a try. Woooaaoooo!

No comments: