Thursday, October 05, 2006

Weekly summary - 3 weeks to go

A week worrying about injury. My massage therapist was concerned about the state of my calf - I'd strained the top of the soleus (I later found what felt like a tear at the top - a lump that was intensely sore). A day's rest and I started running again hoping it would clear for the weekend although it didn't seem to improve and I ditched the long run.

As I've explained in other posts, I now think the soreness was actually due to nerve damage after I'd clumsily tried some self massage on an insertion point where the bone was sore. Who knows whether I could have done the long run. I might have wrecked the calf completely, or further damaged the nerve to the extent it was too painful to run - who can tell.

At least things seem back on track. Another massage tomorrow, Friday, and I should be OK for a last 20-miler.

It doesn't feel right having such low mileage for several weeks now, the 74 miles at camp split between 2 fairly low mileage weeks.

Ah the joys of marathon nerves!

Monday 4 milesam: 4 easy pm: massageRight calf sore
TuesdayRest   
Wednesday4 milesam: 4 easycalf still sore but manageable, didn't feel wise to do evening run though
Thursday8.2 milesam: 4.5 easy pm:3.7 miles easy club handicap raceleg OK but still soreness on inside of mid calf
Friday8.5 milesam: 4.5 easy pm:4 easy big twinge in the evening playing the piano! Strange!
Saturday6 milesam: 6 miles steadyleg feeling better, but with some soreness still. However, after an afternoon wearing Skins compression tights on a shopping trip, feeling very sore. Big twinge in evening chopping veg
SundayRest Didn't feel I could risk a long run - leg not getting any better
Total30.7 miles  

No comments: