Saturday, October 21, 2006

Weekly summary - 1 day to go

Read the comments in the table below on the state of my leg and you'd think I was having second thoughts about running the marathon tomorrow, but I think I've had a breakthrough.

From time to time I get symptoms of anterior compartment syndrome: tightness in the shin muscle, the tibialis anterior, presses on a nerve and causes pain. In the past this has been ankle pain, but I now think the pain I've been getting on the inside of my calf is caused by the same problem. I've been aware of tightness in my shin for the last week, but it has only been the last 2 days when this has become a problem while running. Last night it was really uncomfortable, causing me to wince a couple of times as I was running.

When I got home I massaged and iced and suddenly things felt much better, in fact this morning my leg felt fine. I walked to my piano lesson and got no twinges in the side of my leg at all. I think the problems I've been getting, possibly the shin splints too, have all been down to the shin muscle, even though the tightness was on the opposite side of the leg to the actual problem.

The annoying thing in all this is that I told my massage therapist that my tibialis anterior was tight on Wednesday, but despite this she just concentrated on my calves, hamstrings and quads. I've had this in the past where I end up massaging my shin myself when I get home from a massage because the therapist has either not had time to do the shin or has felt it unimportant.

Hopefully I'm right about this and I've caught it just in time before the marathon. One day to go and my shin feels tender to the touch, but I think I've got rid of the tightness. I hope the marathon goes well!

Monday4 milesam: 4 easy on grass pm: massageLeg felt dodgy afterwards, massage had no effect
TuesdayRest Leg still dodgy with twinges on inside of calf when walking
Wednesday3 milesam: easy run on grass, pm: massageLeg a bit better but still dodgy
Thursday5.8 milespm: Steady club runStill getting twinges, tibialis anterior very tight
Friday4 milespm: easy runTibialis anterior very tight, aching badly
SaturdayRest tib. ant. better after self massage
Total16.8 miles  

No comments: