Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Weekly summary - 2 weeks to go

Things seem almost back to normal with my leg now. The theme of the week though was looking at my pace and HR readings and remarking to myself: "My heart rate shouldn't be that high for this pace!". Based on the pace/HR of my Sunday 20-miler, at best I will just scrape inside the magic 3:15 for the marathon, but at worse will miss it by a couple of minutes.

Why the high HR? I can't surely be detrained after just a few rest days in the last 2 weeks? My HR was high immediately after returning from Lanzarote. I'm concerned that I either overtrained, or picked up a virus while I was there (or on the flight back). Hopefully things will sort themselves out over the coming week. I just need to hang on and not panic. Easier written than done!

Nervy times!

MondayRestpm: massage 
TuesdayRest Big twinge at lunchtime put me off the idea of running that evening
Wednesday5.2 milespm: easy runLeg feeling much better
Thursday9 milesam:4 easy pm: 5 steadyNow getting shin splint pain!
Friday4 milesam: 4 easy pm: massage 
Saturday7 milesam: 7 easy 9:00/mile 122 bpmkept offroad as shin still sore on road. Pace/HR not good despite being offroad
Sunday20 miles8:15/mile 131bpmHR 6bpm higher than last time I ran that route. Run went well though - feeling strong
Total45.2 miles  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Increased heart rate, shin-splint like pains, first injury for a long time... set that against a background of a pretty heavy training schedule which was topped by an intensive week in Lanzarotte, and a mild case of over-training might well be a possibility. It sounds like you're back on track though, and if it was overtraining the taper will help. Best of luck!