Monday, July 25, 2005

Weekly summary - 11 weeks to go

Well I did it! My highest mileage week ever! I guess it started badly and finished well in training terms, but my long run is one I'll want to forget!

I started the week feeling very tired, but managed to cope with a combination of good management - copious use of my massage stick on glutes, ITB and hamstrings - and sheer determination. As the week wore on I started to feel better, until the weekend when I felt ready for my 21 mile run.

The long run started badly the moment I left my front door and discovered that the battery in my GPS was flat, despite supposedly being freshly charged - maybe I left it switched on overnight? I had a fair idea of the length of the route, so carried on with HRM alone.

I met up with my friend at 8.6 miles, for a 5+ mile run with her. It was going well until we came to a busy roundabout. Having safely crossed the first carriageway, I ran out onto the opposite carriageway clear ahead of a lorry in the nearest lane, and with the far lane clear - a safe crossing opportunity or so I thought. However, an idiot in a 4x4 decided to overtake the lorry round the roundabout and put pedal to the metal. Even though he could clearly see me, he just kept on accelerating. I had one of those slow motion moments when I could see the bonnet of the car hurtling towards me. I was committed now, so sprinted on across the road. I actually thought he was going to hit me as I arched my back to try to put some extra distance between us. In the event, he missed me by inches. That's the closest I've ever come in my life and hope I never repeat that.

What was he thinking? At no time did he brake. He was accelerating right up to the point of near impact. Did he think his judgement was sound and he would try to give me a scare or teach me a lesson? If he wanted to scare me he failed, although he scared my friend who had stopped in the middle of the road, watching in horror. All he succeeded in doing was making me angry - angry with myself for putting myself in a position where someone could do that, and angry with him for being so irresponsible and having such a poor regard for the safety of others.

We continued on. I wasn't shaken, just angry. I left my friend at her house and carried on the run.

15 miles into the run, and the next mishap. I was eating (drinking?) an energy gel, and maybe not paying attention to the terrain. I caught a rock on the very rough surface of the bridleway and fell headlong. I managed to relax into the fall and perhaps not do so much damage as last time I fell, but even so I cut my knee and bruised it and my elbow quite badly. I don't think I'll miss any days running because of it, but it is very sore, and a little bit swollen.

I pushed on, the initial stiffness in my knee relaxed, and soon I'd forgotten all about it as I crossed the bridge, 19 miles into the run and 2 more to go. As I neared the middle of the bridge I became aware of something tugging at me. I couldn't see it at first but could feel what was clearly fishing line wrapped round my middle. I turned round in shock to find out who or what was at the other end of the line, to see a fisherman, down on the foreshore below the bridge, look up in surprise and drop the rod or reel he was using to try to haul me in. I reached round behind me to untangle myself, and to my horror a hook dug into my finger. There was a metal lure and hooks attached to the back of my shorts!

After 19 miles of running, you tend to be a bit tired and emotional - I had a hissy fit! With the adrenaline pumping I was trying to get the hooks out of my shorts without making more punctures in my skin. I soon got the lure untangled, and in what must have seemed a highly comic gesture to an onlooker (but not me!) threw the lure away, only to have it come straight back and hit me on the leg - it still being attached to the line around my waist. Now purple with rage I spun round trying to unwind myself and shouted obscenities at the angler maybe 100m away (how long are these lines?). I can't remember what I said, but I think it would just scrape in as family entertainment. I remember holding my blood spotted finger up to him!

I didn't wait to hear his reply. As soon as I was free of the line I ran on towards home and a tube of antiseptic, my heart rate and pace way higher than it should have been. I was so angry! I think the tiredness just made things worse. I hated everyone in the world. How dare people ruin my run like this!

Fortunately my finger was the only injury from the hooks, and it does not appear to have got infected. My shorts took the worst of it, with a few pulled threads.

21.2 miles completed. Very cross!

Monday10 milesTempo run - middle 5 at 85%MHR 
Tuesday13.7 milesSlow run 
Wednesday5 milesEasy recovery 
Thursday10.7 milesSlow run 
Friday5 milesEasy recovery 
Saturday21.2 milesSlow runEventful - see above!
Sunday0 milesGym session - weights, rowing, cross trainer, cycle
Total65.6 miles  

1 comment:

beanz said...

phew what a day!

you do seem to go for eventful runs!