Friday, July 08, 2005

A cautionary tale of bottle hygiene

It always seems that whenever I post something upbeat like 'A New High', then I have to post something downbeat a few days later. For the second week running (not for the first time I use that pun) I've missed 2 days training due to avoidable causes. This time a stomach bug laid me low for a day, and I needed another day to recover while I got my energy levels back.

I think I have the reason.

I am very careful that I always rinse my water bottles out after use. Note the word 'rinse' there, and not 'wash'. They do get washed every now and then, maybe once a week or fortnight, and more occasionally get sterilised with Milton. This is usually enough.

So what went wrong?

I leave the bottles to drain, and they usually dry completely before the next use. I gather that allowing them to dry fully is another safe guard against bacteria. If I'm running in the evening after work, I pour dry powder into the bottle, and make up the drink just before running, so that I don't have a nice sugar rich solution festering away during the day.

On Tuesday morning though, as I left for work, the bottle I usually use for my Go Electrolyte drink hadn't dried out. I only realised this after I'd tipped some powder into the bottle and saw the paste that had been created at the bottom. I figured it would be OK, and left for work, but of course I had a nice moist and bacterially charged paste in the bottom of the bottle, festering away for the rest of the day.

That evening, I added water to the bottle, and had 500ml of instant stomach upset to sip on the way home.

I think I will be using Milton a bit more often in future!

1 comment:

beanz said...

Maybe that will make me do the bottles more often - I use baby bottle sterilising tablets!