Monday, April 02, 2007

Worthing 20

You just know things are going well with your training when 15 miles into a 20-mile run you move up a gear and feel like you are just floating effortlessly. I had a great run at Worthing yesterday, and all because of a rest day!

At the wet wet wet Mad March Hare 20, try as I might I couldn't get my pace up - this was largely to be expected though after a very tough week of training without any form of taper. I needed a bit of a confidence boost yesterday though, so I took the unusual step on Saturday of not running at all - no exercise, nothing - a rest day.

What a difference a day makes! Despite reservations beforehand about some tightness in my calves, as soon as the race began I knew I was going to have a good run.

Conditions were not ideal - there was a stiff northeasterly wind to contend with along the seafront feeling very cold for the first 2 of the 4 5-mile laps. Despite the wind though, the first few miles I was fighting to keep my speed down - my legs just wanted to run! The plan was to keep the first 10 miles nice and slow, at least 40secs/mile slower than marathon pace, and then pick it up in the second half to marathon pace and maybe push harder in the last 2 or 3 miles. Here are the splits and heart rate stats:

8:03 119bpm
8:05 no HR
7:54 no HR
7:48 no HR
7:50 130bpm
7:54 132bpm
8:01 133bpm
7:49 132bpm
7:48 132bpm
7:31 135bpm
7:21 142bpm
7:30 142bpm
7:16 140bpm
7:15 141bpm
7:22 142bpm
7:23 143bpm
7:34 144bpm
7:06 146bpm
7:08 145bpm
7:03 148bpm

2:31:33

137bpm ave (subject to lack of steady HR data in miles 2 to 4 - not sweating enough!)

Compared to runs recently where I've had trouble pushing up to marathon pace, things felt so easy. This is really good news as it not only means I'm on top form, but also I'm on top of the training and not getting the fatigue of earlier weeks.

The best news though is I was well within the 7:25/mile target pace without my HR ever going near my normal marathon HR of 145bpm until the last miles. 3:15 is deinitely on!

Good news too for Neil, as he's put his poor Mad March Hare result behind him with a comfortable 2:20. I lapped Bob at around 14 miles, before nearly getting lapped myself by the winner - I just avoided it as the lead car overtook me and turned left for the finish with Nick Baker fast approaching. Bob seemed pleased with his 3:29, although he was a minute/mile down on his best 20-miler despite some recent PBs at 10k - best to keep something back for the big day in London.

Thanks go to Carol for supporting us, being the 10-mile cloakroom attendant, and finish line supplier of Belgian Buns!

I believe my 2:31:33 is now the overall women's club record. We weren't sure of the previous mark as we thought Chris had run faster, but we couldn't produce evidence of the fact. I think this mark removes the uncertainty. Anyone know any different?

Next race is the Totton 10k in 2 weeks - a final sharpener before London. Things are looking promising!

No comments: