Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Weekly summary - 2 weeks to go

The highlight of the week, apart from some rather fine intervals on Thursday, had to be my big run on Saturday. What a run! Glorious sunshine and stunning scenery. My friends were recceing the route of the Emsworth to Basingstoke Charity Relay so I seized the opportunity to do a point to point run and grab a lift back at the end. They were only recceing 2 or 3 legs, so I wasn't going to have any company - alas, I think I'm doomed to always run my big runs alone. It was nice to meet them at the end though.

The route I took is detailed on the above link, by clicking 'route maps'. I ran from near Warblington church to Vann farm near Selborne - legs 2 to 10. The 2 highlghts for me were legs 6, for the Queen Elizabeth Forest and the total feeling of summer, and leg 9 for the infamous Shoulder of Mutton Hill (the name is obscured on the map, but it is the continuation of the ridge marked as Ashford Hill). SOMH is so steep it's laughable. It's such an effort to even walk up. I've met people who claim they've run up it during the race, but I frankly don't believe them. It's a unique challenge though, and the view from the top is spectacular. I'm not sure it's what you want 15 miles into a run, but it certainly was the highlight regardless of the reason.

The taper has now begun: no more doubles! Totton 10k next week, which I have a good feeling about, and then a small matter of a marathon. Not long now!

MondayRest I think I earned a rest!
Tuesday7.6 milesam: massage pm: Recce of club handicap route 8:01/mile 125bpm - low HR considering pace was interrupted by 12 gates and 4 bridges 7:35-7:45/mile between gates
Wednesday11 milesam: 2 miles treadie + weights session - now up to 56kg deadliftpm: 9 miles offroad 8:34/mile no HR data
Thursday11.9 milesam: 4.3 miles easypm: 8x800m 60sec recovery
3:13 147bpm max
3:16 149bpm
3:15 152bpm
3:15 152bpm
3:19 151bpm
3:16 152bpm
3:15 155bpm
3:21 152bpm
legs a bit tired, stitch on last interval, but generally went well
Friday4.5 milesam: easy run offroad, no pace or HR data - freedom!
Saturday19 milesam: The Big One! Following Hangers Way from Havant to Selborne. Slow pace 10:30/mile due to the difficult terrain - often rutted from horses hooves in now hard baked mudNicest long run I've ever done!
Sunday7.5 milesam: Very easy run with the club - ridiculously low HR 103bpm - it was reading below 100 for much of the run 
Total61.5 miles   

No comments: