Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Team: Totton 10k

I have a wonderful bunch of friends in Victory AC. I wonder if they realised how much they've touched me this weekend?

I had a dreadful race! We needed to score some solid points to avoid relegation from division 1. We were third from bottom but we were not mathematically safe by any means. We needed a good turn out and we got it. The pressure was off me - phew!

The weather was incredibly warm: 25°C to be precise - ridiculous for April. I hope it's cooler next weekend! We set off with Gina setting an amazing pace for such hot conditions with me following and Chris, Ruth and the rest of the girls behind.

I realised after a 4 minute first kilometre that I was going way too fast for the conditions. My heart rate was 158bpm as a result of the heat. I may have been capable of maintaining the pace on a cooler day but in this heat it was more like 5k pace. I was doomed to blow up if I kept going at that rate. So why didn't I slow down?

Each km split showed a slower time, but my HR remained high - idiot!

At the water station at 6km I was feeling dizzy and, with a mind on not harming my London chances, walked. Major guilt feelings! I got going again but felt awful and the sense of self preservation was getting stronger. When Chris caught me, I realised that my contribution to the team was dwindling and the desire to cool down got stronger.

I walked again.

Finally, having had another break, Ruth caught me in the last km and the pressure was finally off. I crossed the line in 45+ mins feeling shattered.

I'd let the team down. I was an idiot. I'd paced badly. I shouldn't have gone off at such a stupid cool weather pace. I'd walked, given in, a loser.

Everyone I spoke to was supportive though! So many said they expected great things from me next week and I was right to back off. Everyone totally understood my situation. They all made me feel really good. What a bunch! Thankyou.

We survived relegation. Marilyn won the W55 prize - she looked so relaxed at the finish - what a star! The world is good.


Footnote:
'The team' voted me "Club member of the year" at the annual dinner on Friday. I was dead chuffed. That is such an honour. I also picked up the "Most improved" and the "Colin Goater shield" (for most outstanding single performance), hogging the trophies somewhat. I worked hard for the latter 2, but the club member of the year is really special. Thank you so much.

Here are the pics:
So many trophies!
If I'd known I was getting those trophies, I'd have made more of an effort:
Glam!

2 comments:

rach_e said...

It was SUCH a hot day yesterday a lot of people suffered. The lady who finished just behind me who I know very well had to pull up at 7.5km and it was all she could do just to finish (she's normally a 38 min 10k-er). And I have my suspicions that the first km marker may have been a little early (and made for in the 8th and 9th kilometers) as I got a 3:32 split for the first k (NO WAY did I run that!) and longer than expected splits in 8 and 9. You did what you needed to do to avoid relegation though, so very well done.

Anonymous said...

Woww !!
Gorgeous as well.