Tuesday, July 04, 2006

In the heat of battle: Southern Vets 5000m

Last night I did my first ever track race: the Southern Counties Vets League 5000m in Portsmouth. I had a great race finishing in 20:36.9 - I've never done something measured in tenths before!
Susie
Lap times were as follows:
50 (200m)
97
98
97
97
99
99
99
100
102
102
99
92

The times are the least important part: I finished 4th and was 3rd scorer behind Karen Hazlitt and A.N.Other. I beat Jane Georgiou and Tina Turner (no, the other one!), 2 runners whom I've admired for years and never got anywhere near before. I am so pleased! I ran for my new 2nd claim track club Havant AC as their B stream runner but was top scorer, lapping my Havant W50 team mate Marilyn (also Victory AC 1st claim), a W35 Winchester runner, and possibly someone else - memory hazy there.

I ran a pretty even race - the slowing down approaching the final mile was largely because Tina and Jane were slowing and I sat behind them for a bit before deciding I could push past at 800m.

Ignoring Karen Hazlitt for a moment, I went out with the lead pack, which felt so good - I let the others go ahead a little bit, but was able to pick off 2 or 3 in the first half, before realising I might get some major scalps in the last half. I ran behind Bev, our Havant guest runner, for most of the race, took her and Tina at about 800m and Jane at 400m but Bev had a huge kick and took me easily in the last 100m.

Karen was in a league of her own. She lapped the entire field before half way and then cruised the rest of the race.

Beth, fellow Victoryite, and my Havant A stream runner, finished well, I think giving her daughter something to be proud of - her main concern for the race. I don't know her or Marilyn's time unfortunately.

It was very hot. It felt very tough. I enjoyed it enormously!

The 5k team: Marilyn, Susie and Beth
Marilyn, Susie, Beth

In the 800m, another Victoryite Amanda limped in with a pulled calf muscle - take care Amanda - get well soon. She still put in a good effort though, even with a damaged calf:
Amanda

Yet another Victoryite Neil looked like he was struggling in the 3000m, but then he had just run the 800m:
Neil

I must also mention Victoryite Graham, helping out with the officiating (or was he just spectating and roaring us on?).

It may sound like it was all Victory runners for Havant AC. I haven't yet mentioned Victoryite Liz running for City of Portsmouth, and her partner Martin race walking for Havant. Havant AC does seem to be the traditional home for the Victory AC track runners. The pure-blood Havant AC runners are a lovely bunch though - special mention for captain Vicki. I think I may have found a second home!

Vicki took this photo - hence the gap:
Havant AC

No comments: