Monday, February 20, 2006

Weekly summary - 8 weeks to go

My second 70 mile week in a row, and I'm doing OK, if a touch tired.

Let's get technical for a moment: the signs are all there that my pace is improving and my 3:30 marathon target is achievable. Despite the tiredness on Friday night, I hit 7:42 pace without my heart rate reaching what I'd normally do a marathon at. Then at Bramley I averaged 8:34 for a heart rate of only 76% of max - 131bpm. Given that my pace increases by about 40secs/mile for a 10bpm rise then this puts me at around a 7:50/mile marathon pace. My last mile was 7:49 with an average HR of 144bpm which backs up the other pace predictions.

And I accused someone of over-analysing today!

The point is that this is all evidence of my continued improvement and that I'm on target.

I have a recovery week coming up, then my next big test is the Christchurch Mad March Hare 20 in 2 weeks time where I'll do the last 15 miles at marathon effort.

MondayRest  
Tuesday11.1 milesa.m. 4.8 miles easy p.m. 6.3 miles slow club run 
Wednesday15 milesSlow run 9:00/mile 121bpm 70%MHRWell paced - fastest 'slow' run yet
Thursday6.6 milesEasy recoveryJogged the club session
Friday12 milesTempo runTired - pace limited, but legs OK
Saturday5.3 milesEasy recovery 65%MHR 
Sunday21 milesBramley 20 76%MHR 2:51 8:34/mile
Total71 miles  

No comments: