Sunday, February 19, 2006

People power: The Bramley 20 2006

If the Meon Valley Plod was about the landscape and mud, then the Bramley 20 was about the people.

I’d made tentative arrangements to meet some of the Runner’s World forumites at the race: I knew what Karen looked like, Mick’n’Phil should be easy to spot, but I had no idea what any of the others looked like; I just had a few race numbers half remembered.

I spotted Karen easily enough in the school before the race, in a large crowd of her Serpentine runners; a quick hello and it was on outside to warm up.

I walked to the gates and by chance found myself eye to eye with a familiar face. I glanced down and instantly twigged: Mick’n’Phil! How could I have missed Phil in the wheelchair? Mick, his dad, clearly recognised me, but couldn’t place me. I introduced myself and established that he must have clicked the link to my photo on the forum. I said hi to Phil and offered him advice on pacing and breathing. I know his dad does all the pushing, but so began the day’s in-joke of Phil doing all the work. Actually in his own way I reckon he does bring a fair bit to the partnership – that pair generate so much energy there’s some left over for the rest of us!

I did my warm up – this was a 21-mile training run – and made my way to the start line.

“Susie!”

I’d been spotted by RichK and Trinity, again recognised from my photo and club vest. A quick pose for a photo with Mick’n’Phil and Trinity – well hardly posed – it looked like I was laying down the law to Phil – and I made my way to the start line.

Now I find this next bit a touch spooky…

I took up my position and started to chat to the woman who happened to be next to me. We’d chatted for a bit about intended pace, weather – the usual stuff, when she for some reason, maybe my vest, asked if I posted on the Runner’s World forum – I was standing next to Minks! I’d exchanged many messages with her online – our marathon times are similar and we’ve been comparing notes on our training – but we’d never met before. The spooky stuff didn’t stop there though, as we established that a relative of hers is a good friend and team mate of mine. It really is a small world.

We set off and chatted for a few miles, but it was evident that Minks is a fair bit fitter than me. Despite our similar marathon targets, I suspect Minks is under-selling herself. I wanted to keep it easy and strictly at training pace, so I waved Minks on after about 4 miles. She went on to average a little over 8:00/mile so she’s well on track for a sub-3:30 marathon, and I suspect a fair bit quicker.

A mile later:

“Susie!!!!”

It was Mick’n’Phil. We were heading downhill and they were much quicker than me. I warned them about the upcoming hill at 6 miles and suspected they would drop back again. I offered Phil some encouragement, playfully ignoring his dad sweating behind the wheelchair, and as  I suspected they dropped back at the hill.

2 miles later.

“Susie!!!!”

They were back. This was becoming quite a cat and mouse game. Phil was sensing the race was on and was cheering his heart out. Could I live with myself if it came down to a sprint at the end, after Phil had put such a big effort in? (Yes, the joking about Mick just being along for the ride continued)

We were still together after the first lap, but now we were seeing the results of pushing a chair 10 miles and despite Phil’s best efforts, Mick’s legs were tiring. Alas, I was able to open a gap which stayed till the end.

I finished in 2:51, about 7 minutes ahead of the indomitable Mick’n’Phil.

Thanks lads – you’re an inspiration. Your energy level is incredible. That’s what running is all about – I love this sport!

Nice to see you Karen, RichK and Trinity. Well done to Karen on winning the V50, with a new course record, and the team prize – amazing! Thanks Minks for pushing me to a new PB.

A great day out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you at Bramley, Susie, and well done on your PB. Glad I was able to contribute in some small way to that! I was so impressed with your self-discipline, not allowing me to steer you off your planned pace ... true to form, all my intentions to keep to an easy pace myself went out the window in the second half, where I ran the last three miles at 7:40, 7:40 and 7:12 pace respectively! I suspect that we're actually both capable of better than our 3:30 marathon targets, but it depends on how big a risk we're willing to take ...