Friday, March 23, 2007

Weekly summary - 5 weeks to go

Well that was a tough week. My first full week of doubles while working full time on a stressful job with over 2 hours of travelling each day.

It nearly worked. By Saturday I was so tired and my calves were so tight that I felt I had no choice but to rest.

By Sunday though, things were better and I managed a strong 20.7 miles, despite feeling very rough at first having to run the first few miles into a strong cross/head-wind.

The dodgy legs could simply have been the gym session on Friday. I would normally have an easy day on Friday after 3 hard days midweek, but this Friday was my monthly gym assessment with my trainer Elaine. Normally these sessions are really easy, not involving much gym work, just a few bits and pieces here and there. I had some spare time though and made sure I finished up with my usual weight routine, including some 50kg deadlifts. On top of that, I tried 30secs of a plyometric exercise Elaine showed me - scissor jump squats. This had my quads burning after only 30 secs, and I don't suppose it was too kind on my calves either. In the evening, after my run my calves were very tight and by Saturday I was just too tired to do anything. Was this all avoidable?

By listening to my body and taking the rest I needed I seem to be OK and continuing on strongly. Only a few more hard weeks to go!

Monday8.6 milesam:4.6 miles easy 4 miles fitness test 9:00/mile following Garmin course. HR 108bpm only 2bpm higher than best ever - good news!
Tuesday7.8 milesam: massagepm: Club run over Portsdown Hill HR 139bpm pace 7:44/mile
Wednesday12.5 milesam: gym session, 2 miles on treadiepm: 10.5 miles 8:31/mile 119bpm good pace - felt good! HR was only 43bpm standing outside front door waiting for Garmin to get satellite lock!
Thursday10 milesam: 4 miles easypm: 6 miles. 4x1516m off 3mins:
6:36 max 143bpm 7:00/mile
6:23 max 147bpm 6:46/mile
6:21 max 148bpm 6:44/mile
6:24 max 151bpm 6:48/mile
Friday9 milesam:2.3 miles gym assessment with personal trainer. Did 30secs of plyometric scissor jump squats - a bad idea?pm: 6.7 miles easy. Calf tightened up afterwards
SaturdayRest Legs feeling very dodgy - a result of yesterday's gym + plyometrics - effectively 4 hard days in a row?
Sunday20.7 milesam 20.7 miles @8:42/mile 122bpm Felt tired at first into string headwind, but finished feeling better with a 7:30 mile
Total68.6 miles


ps this report is a tad late due to pressures of work. Life's tough!

No comments: