Friday, February 11, 2005

"Coming through - oops, sorry!"

I rather clumsily barged a couple of my club mates aside last night. I'm sure no harm was done to them, but to me this simple act of fartlek hooliganism represented another milestone on my path to faster paces. You see, these were seriously quick runners!

The general pattern of our club sessions lately is that while the others are running the usual diet of short sharp intervals, I am doing my rather steadier long aerobic intervals. I do intervals of at least a mile, sometimes 2 miles, working to a heart rate limit, which last night was 147bpm or 84% of maxHR - nicely aerobic.

Last night, the session for the others was fartlek: 200m of fast running followed by 200m of jog recovery, and repeat ad infinitum, or when the coach says stop, whichever comes sooner. For me it was 1 mile repetitions with a 90 sec jog recovery.

We set off together, and naturally the fast guys disappeared off into the distance. I carried on at my steady but, increasingly so, brisk pace behind them. As they slowed to a jog recovery, I would catch them up. This continued for a few repetitions, until after about 1200m they had only just overtaken me on their fast bit, when it came to their recovery jog once more. With them only a few paces in front of me, they slowed suddenly and I was left to unceremoniously barge my way between them.

I wonder if they were shocked that one of the club's slow lady runners had kept pace with them? For me, it illustrated how much I've been improving: my pace for that first repetition was 7:30/mile - a pace I've never before run at - and at a limited HR too. I'll admit it was a little too quick, as I failed to maintain that pace for the remaining 4 repetitions, but I'm still thrilled to be running that sort of pace comfortably.

I love these regular indicators of improvement, no matter what form they take. Base training rocks!



For the record here are the stats:

1 mile repetitions with 90sec jog recovery
LapPace/mileAve HR
17:29137
27:39142
37:42142
47:50142
57:53142

No comments: