Thursday, June 05, 2008

Southern Women's League Division1 Reading 3000m

A late report from last Saturday, but I've just got the result so I thought I'd better blog it for completeness.

I finished 2nd A-string runner in 11:59.8, so heading in the right direction. I finished 2nd behind online pal RachE who was a minute ahead of me despite waving to her other half in the stands on each lap. I got a better age grading score though, according to the Fetcheveryone site so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. I helped the team to 2nd place, putting us 4th in the league.

It was an odd sort of race as we also had the Premier Division match running at the same time, so there were some Reading AC and Newquay & Par runners ahead. It gave me some targets though, particularly when I started to lap people at the end. I lapped my team-mate just as I was closing on someone from the other match - it amused me to have her shout "Go get her" as I passed. Shame it didn't make any difference points-wise!

I felt pretty good and paced it quite well, so another plus point over the vets match from 2 weeks ago. Here are the stats which I presume I must have got from some magic remote collection system, because of course HRMs are illegal in races of 10000m and shorter!
93s 138bpm
96s 154bpm
98s 156bpm
96s 159bpm
96s 160bpm
98s 161bpm
96s 162bpm
47s 163bpm
result: 11:59.8

Footnote:
Here's the rule we race under:
RULE 21 ASSISTANCE
(1) The following shall be interpreted as assistance
(a) Pacing by persons not participating in a race, unless assisting a blind or partially sighted runner.
(b) Receiving advice or similar assistance during an event from an individual located within the competition area.
(c) The use of any technical device.
Athletes receiving assistance as defined above are liable to be disqualified.
(2) The following shall not be interpreted as assistance:
(a) Communication during an event between athletes, and other
persons not within the competition area.
(b) A medical examination during the progress of an event by medical personnel solely to determine whether an athlete is fit enough to continue in the competition.
(c) The use of heart monitors in races in excess of 10000m.


My interpretation of the above is that even wearing a watch is illegal, however Kelly Holmes crossed the line for Olympic Gold wearing the same Polar HRM I wear.
Kelly Holmes
I assume she wasn't wearing the chest strap though. Clearly she wasn't taking splits as I assume she didn't have time to start it, however she would have had the advantage of the stadium clock anyway. I don't look at my watch anyway as I can usually judge the laps from the timekeeper calling the times from the track side. The data is useful for post-race analysis though. I've never been challenged, but I wonder if some over-zealous official might one day want to flex his muscles?

No comments: