Sunday, July 08, 2007

Portsmouth Promenade 5k

A few days late with my race report, but I've been waiting to see the results for confirmation of my series position.

It was yet another windy promenade race, this time F5-6. It was mostly a problem coming back in along the prom, but with the prom snaking round there were times going out too when we were into the wind. After a gale force Victory 5 last December, a near gale first 5k in May and a fresh breeze for the D-day 10k, wind appears to be the main spoiler of what could be a very fast flat course.

The hope before the race had been to dip under 20 minutes for the first time, but I soon realised that the wind was going to make this a problem. I started promisingly though with a 4 minute first kilometre but from then on I tried to just tuck in behind the other runners and save what energy I could.

For the next couple of kms I was tucked behind first a City of Portsmouth woman, and then ran a threesome on the return down the prom with women from Stubbington and Winchester. I always feel I have a disadvantage into the wind, being quite tall. I was trying to shelter behind other runners, but with hindsight I should have had the confidence to push on past these runners.

At 4km I felt strong and was able to push past the other 2 quite easily. My target was then an Aldershot Farnham and District woman 100m ahead. I was able to slowly reel her in over the last kilometre until by the time we entered the park for the finish I was just behind her.

It was here I made a tactical error!

I was aware that I wasn't far outside my PB and didn't want to waste any time sitting behind the AFD woman. With only 150m to go just how much time did I think I was going to lose? I ran past her immediately on catching her and pushed on for the line. On seeing me, she kicked hard for the line and I didn't have a reply. I finished just behind her.

What I didn't realise was that sprint was for 3rd place! I should have held back and kicked hard close to the line to take her by surprise. Club mate Kevin was spectating and immediately afterwards commented on my tactical blunder - it was quite obvious!

The significance of losing 3rd place didn't fully come to light until I saw the results yesterday. I'm now 2 points behind 3rd place in the series. In the next race I have to finish 2 places ahead of my nearest rival. If I'd won that sprint I would have just had to beat her to get 3rd place in the series. Now I can't race her, but have to push on ahead and try to put some distance between us.

I'm not entirely sure how the prizes are allocated for the series, but I'm 2nd W45 with no chance of catching Jane, leader of the W45s and 2nd in the series. There are only prizes for the first runner in each category. I hope I don't get the situation of a prize going to a younger slower runner!

It's going to be a very competitive next race. Should be good!

Splits/ave HRs:
3:59 141bpm
4:05 153bpm
4:11 156bpm
4:12 156bpm
4:00 158bpm
20:30 153bpm ave
4th woman, 2nd W45

No comments: