Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pole vault!

I discovered yesterday evening I can pole vault!

After a few drills, I sailed over the opening height first time, with coach Lynne commenting that that was all I had to do to score points. She then started talking about the height I needed to do at the southern finals and had me thinking "ooh, that sounds a bit tougher - maybe I won't be scoring after all". It then turned out she was talking about the height I needed to win it! I sailed over the bar within 20cm of that height, and definitely feel I could challenge that with another session.

I only had a couple of failures as Lynne put the bar up, and again, and again...
I feel I could have gone the extra 20cm as I didn't have any failures on the final height, but I was getting a bit tired by then. Waaaheeey!

It was such a buzz - I've not had that adrenaline tingle since my wave-sailing days - that bar is not dissimilar in feeling to approaching an 8ft wave at speed - total commitment required.

I've a few sore bits today - left lateral deltoid, right brachialis - but nothing I can't work on in the gym.

Wow!

You'll note I haven't quoted any heights - I'm being coy for now - Isinbayeva has her spies out and I don't want to give anything away before Beijing.

No comments: