Sunday, February 18, 2007

A career high point?

After another rough patch having missed a week with sinusitis (details in the training summary to follow), I was in need of cheering up when I attended the Havant Borough Sports Council 27th annual awards on Thursday.

I'd been nominated for 'Veteran Sportwoman Of The Year', for my marathon results and services to the club. This blog was also quoted in the citation!

I duly won the award - pleasantly surprised, but figuring I was one of very few nominees - silly self-deprecating me. I was dead chuffed though - very honoured.

Then at the high point of the evening, in a room full of English schools 100m finalists, county 400m champions, English international judoka, and 70-year old record breaking weight lifters, the title of "Havant Borough Sportsperson Of The Year" was announced. Quite a shock! Me! Blimmin' 'eck. So now I have a rather large silver trophy with my name below Kath Bailey's. Cool!

I'm very honoured by this. I hope I can live up to the title, being very off form at the moment having missed a lot of training through illness.

A friend asked me if this was the high point of my athletics career. I think it is! In a different way, the other high point was running down The Mall in a flood of tears in my first marathon. How do you judge between the two? Magic moments both.

Lots more to do yet though - onwards and upwards.

HBSC Sportsperson of the year presentation

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Susie, great result!

Fantastic and well-deserved recognition for your running and wonderful blog.

Hope you get back in the running aqnd racing groove really soon.

DfD

ps can you turn Kasabian off now please :-)

Windsurfin' Susie said...

Cheers DD, as for Kasabian, I'll try to change the number of old posts that are on the front page. Just try to love them until then.