Monday, January 15, 2007

Stubbington 10k

Oops! How did I find myself on the red start for sub-40 runners?

I'd been apologising to folks, insisting that no way could I have put sub-40 down on the entry form, but there in black and white on the entry list was 40:00. OK I confess then.

To be fair, when I entered this race back in the summer I was at my peak. I'd just run a 42:08 10k on a hilly(ish) course on a hot day, as part of an 85-mile week, 7 days after sauntering around a 28-mile trail marathon. I figured I could definitely run 41:00 when fresh, on a cool flat course, so 40:00 in 5 months time? No problem! Sub-40 is still an ambition of mine, but after a month off with shin splints and being forced to build back up gradually, then hands up, I'll admit I hadn't exactly earned my place among the fast guys. (I also didn't know there was going to be a separate start for sub-40 when I entered - this was new for this year)

Still, there were Jane and Tina: fast girls for sure, but sub-40? And then what about all these runners around me with white numbers? Maybe I'm not so out of place.

I looked up at the clear blue sky, let the sun warm my face, and drank in what was looking to be near-perfect conditions for a 10k.

Off we went and Tina sped off looking very comfortable. I later learned she'd just recovered from broken ribs sustained in the Victory 5. Ouch! Clearly her recovery from broken ribs was more complete than mine from shin splints, but I was feeling pretty comfortable anyway.

I was a bit concerned at half a mile to see a guy crouched on the road clutching his chest, being shielded from the mass of runners parting around him by a female competitor - I hope he was OK! There was also a guy leaping around in agony in a driveway - a torn muscle or bad cramp. I feel less sorry for him as that just seems part of the running game - chest pains are another thing entirely! Things comes in threes, and there was team-mate Brian jogging back to the start. He didn't look too injured - maybe he was being cautious.

As we ran I was hearing all the familiar shouts of encouragement: "Go Tina", "Go Paula". Tina was pulling ahead - I could see her. Paula must be behind me - good news - I don't think I've beaten her before - I must be having a good day. I passed team-mate Ruth, having presumably had a flyer from the front of the white start, and there was sometime team-mate Liz, running for her first claim club. I eased past Liz, silhouetted in the bright sunlight. This really was going well: lovely day, I felt good and I felt strong. Paula passed me. Ah!

We were now on the only incline on the course and I wondered if this might make a difference - 'hills' were always a weakness of mine. I felt good though and pulled back up to Paula. I'd shown good pace on our club hill run on Tuesday, so maybe I'm getting better at hills - maybe the strength training is paying off. I made my move on Paula and powered on, confidence growing.

I'd noticed my heart rate was quite low for what I'd normally expect from a 10k, and wondered if maybe I was pushing enough. At 6km things definitely started to feel tough though so I decided my pace judgement was fine and it was wise to not try to push any harder. My splits were looking remarkably even!

The rest of the race was a matter of focussing on runners ahead and picking them off. As ever, the longer the race went on, the more I overtook, as people's pace started to drop.

I was now sitting on the shoulder of an Aldershot runner, evoking memories of Steph Twell from the XC the previous weekend. As thoughts went through my mind of playing a waiting game and outsprinting her at the end, I realised there was a Pompey Jogger and an Isle of Wight Road Runner ahead who should be the focus of my attention - this was after all the Hampshire championships. At this point Brian, who was now a spectator, shouted encouragement to me and alerted Ms Aldershot to my presence, just as I'd been alerted to Paula's earlier. Ms Aldershot glanced over her shoulder. Did she see my wry smile? That decided it and I pushed on to chase Ms IOW.

I overtook Ms IOW, but despite closing on Ms Pompey I was running out of road. I crossed the line in 42:59. As I walked up the funnel, team-mate Pete tapped me on the shoulder. He'd been tracking me the whole way, but had never quite been able to close on me. I think that's the first time I've beaten Pete - chuffed!

So that was 51secs slower than my best, pretty much as expected, and not bad under the circumstances. I was 5th W45, not bad, but not good enough for a Hampshire medal as all the women ahead were locals - blimmin locals!

Ruth finished a minute behind me, with Shelly and Amanda following her home, giving us a vet ladies team result of 3rd behind Winchester A and Winchester B, ie second club. Fantastic result girls! Shelly got a Hampshire W40 bronze - Marilyn warned me about the quality of the local 45s compared to the 40s - well done nevertheless Shelly.

Special mention to Emma finishing her first ever 10k in 64 mins. Sub-60 beckons. Well done Emma!

Lee had a great run in 33:25 finishing 13th - serious quality. He even beat the leading lady - just! ;-)


And so to the technical data. It made interesting reading. Here it is, followed by an explanation of why I'm quite pleased by it:

1 4:17 135bpm
2 4:15 146bpm
3 4:18 147bpm
4 4:16 148bpm
5 4:17 149bpm
6 4:17 150bpm
7 4:18 150bpm
8 4:19 151bpm
9 4:22 152bpm
10 4:14 153bpm
Total 42:59
Average HR: 148bpm

If you compare this to the Everton 10k you'll see it's 4bpm lower on average. Compare it with the Totton 10k where I averaged 155bpm and there's an even bigger gap.

It may be that because I haven't done much speed and tempo work lately my lactate threshold is lower, and I can't sustain the levels I used to be able to. This is good news because that will all come back to me as the training progresses - it's just the nature of the comeback from injury, with lots of slow running, that is temporarily suppressing my LT.

Another, possibly more accurate, explanation is that I'm simply tired. I had the Hants XC last weekend which was tough - I felt quite tired for the club run on Tuesday, and definitely couldn't push the pace, but had a really hard run all the same. Despite the relatively low mileage lately I have been training hard, particularly the gym sessions which have left my glutes and hamstrings aching, so I'm probably just fatigued - I rested on Friday as my 'taper', but that has been my only rest day for the last month, and anyway I spent it driving up to the Midlands and back to fetch my family.

At the Everton 10k I was tired as evidenced by my lower average HR compared to Totton. I reasoned then that it would give me an extra 30secs when fresh: each 1bpm being about 3 seconds/mile in pace. The 7bpm difference of this race would be an extra 20secs/mile or 2mins over the course of a 10k. This would put me ahead of my Everton time by some way!

Whether it's the quick fix offered by rest and recovery, or the slightly slower fix of threshold training, the fact remains that there is a 2 minute gain to be had by the time the next 10k comes round at Eastleigh.

OK, it's maybe lies, damned lies and statistics, but I'd like to put it another way:

I'm back baby. I'm back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great run Susie, and an impeccable race report and analysis, as ever. Onwards and upwards!