Monday, January 08, 2007

Hampshire Cross Country Championships

Well that was entertaining!

This was my first Hampshire Cross Country, championships or league, and I was impressed with the organisation. A lot of effort had gone in to laying out the course, which wound its way around the grounds of Basingstoke's War Memorial Park. I feel sorry for the groundsman for the state we left it in. Honourable mention too for whoever has to clean the changing rooms - boy were they muddy!

Ah yes the mud!

It didn't seem too bad as we lined up on the start line - a gentle drizzle with barely a breeze, but we knew it was going to be muddy after the game we'd had getting the car into the grass parking area (rear wheel drive with me pushing from behind). I felt quite privileged to have Steph Twell, the European junior XC champion, a few places to my left - a quality field. That our team matched that quality goes without saying of course, with Chris, Belinda, Suzy, Jan and Marilyn next to me on the start line.

The gun went and we were off with me haring round the first bend. Oops! A tad quick I fear. I settled into a steady rhythm aware that I was ahead of the experienced Chris, wondering how long it would stay that way.

About half distance is the answer to that.

As I struggled with stitch, no doubt caused by my over-exuberant pace, Chris took over, and the natural order was restored. Could I pace off her and limit the damage?

Mike Gratton was a brilliant help, cropping up seemingly at every corner to shout encouragement and advice. That's the benefit of having a twisty turny parkland course. He was shouting things like "There's 4 places for you there. Now concentrate on the blue vest further ahead". The blue vest was Chris. She and Mike towed me through the remaining 2km and helped keep my placing respectable. I finished just behind Chris, and with her and Mike's help managed to overtake an Overton Harrier for 3rd F45! Shame they no longer give out bronze medals. :-(

Marilyn meanwhile finished 2nd F55 with Jan 3rd F55 - a brilliant effort in what some would describe as her "rookie year". We finished 7th senior team and 4th vet team in some very lofty company. Fantastic!

There was controversy at the sharp end when a marshall ushered the leading senior woman up the (shorter) junior finish line, assuming she was Steph Twell. I'm surprised Steph wasn't leading the field at that point but maybe she was holding back with the Edinburgh international XC next week. Steph won the under-20s by a minute in any case. I'm assuming the poor senior woman was disqualified. The results say there was a protest, but don't say whether the winner, Joanne McGarry, was the one being ushered up the wrong finish.

And so to the men. Oh dear!

We got an absolute soaking watching from the sidelines. There were some very miserable faces out there. Graham retired saying he was just too cold. As we watched the mudfest a squall came through. The brolly protecting our bags was sent flying, almost into the path of the runners. Mike's "2:09 events" tent hadn't been tied down - there was no wind initially. Fortunately those sheltering under it were able to hold it down as it prepared for take-off in the direction of Winchester.

Neil led the guys home, with Alex keeping us amused as he crossed the line with the leaden weight of his soaking shorts providing some fine bum cleavage! A 22nd place senior team and 17th vet team summed up the day for the men I think.

I was soooo cold at the end - shivering in the wet.

I loved it!!

No comments: