Saturday, November 25, 2006

Serious weights

I've been developing a weight program while my running has taken a hit.

This is what I did this evening:

20mins x-trainer aerobic level 13
2*10 clean 31kg
20 squats 41kg bar (maybe should up the weight)
bent knee calf raises 20 each leg
20 straight leg calf raises + 15kg
20 lunges + 20 walking lunges 2*15kg dumbbell
20 side raises/bends 2*15kg
walking lunges with medicine ball side to side
glute raises 15 each leg 8kg behind knee
2*single leg squats 20 right 30 left
gymball sitting and kneeling
10 gymball hamstring curls + 5 single leg
10 gymball superman
20 gymball crunches
20 gymball asymmetric crunches
10 gymball side raises each side
20 gymball dorsal raises
2*15 vertical hanging knee raises with ankle weights
0.5km walk 5deg 7.5kph
1.5 km run 1deg 10.7 kph
5 mins air stepper 80spm
10mins spinning
loads of stretching

I may have got some of the names wrong, but hopefully they are descriptive enough. The program may change once Elaine has run through things with me next week, but I reckon it's about right.

Note the running!! I taped my ankle and all seems well.


I had a strange experience at the gym. While I was in the studio upstairs, on my own, I heard: "Customer announcement: would all customers please leave the playing area". I didn't really understand what they meant, but knew there was a kiddies play zone so assumed it was that they were referring to - no fire bells or anything. I carried on for another 30 mins of cool down and stretching. When I walked downstairs and out of the gym all the plasma screens were off and the gym reception locked. Then outside all the vending machines had black bin bags taped over them and all the lockers were locked with no keys in any of them. I went for a shower in the deserted changing rooms. As I was getting dressed a man walked in and with a quick "Oops, sorry" exited. As I walked out, the penny finally dropped as dozens of Police officers filed down the corridor - serious security!

Tonight is the monthly SNAP disco (Say No And Party) for the kids. I had no idea what a large scale operation it is. The road outside the leisure centre was closed. The car park was coned off and I had to exit through the council offices next door.

I suppose with a swimming pool and gym they have to be careful no kids get up to mischief, but I had no idea they took over the leisure centre to that extent - it shuts to the public for the evening.

"would all customers please leave the playing area"

playing area?!!!

This is serious stuff!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's quite a workout!

For the calf raises you might find bending over yields better results although looking possible a bit silly. The term is called "Donkey Calf Raise(s)" if you want to google it for pictures / video.

It's an isolation exercise & the silly looking part comes in where some people have training partners basically mount them to add weight!