Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Portsmouth Promenade 5k

Funny how the tone of a race is set within the first few hundred metres.

The start of the Promenade 5k is a tad hectic. It starts in the car park of the Mountbatten Leisure Centre, turns immediately left and then funnels through onto the promenade along a short narrow piece of tarmac wide enough for one person, causing a mad scramble over an uneven bit of grass, kerb and gravel. Fun!

Having got the mad scramble over and got past the usual hangers on who should have been further back on the start line, I took stock of those around me. I was running shoulder to shoulder with Tina with whom I'd had the battle in the 5000m, and I was on the heels of Kim, the W40 winner of our Billy 5 race. I'd noticed Kim's time in the Billy 5 and had wondered if I'd have beaten her if I'd been able to do the race. I guess I was about to find out how my speed matched up to hers.

Kim and Tina were the main rivals I'd spotted before the race and here we were running together after 400m. I guess we all have a pretty good idea of our pace!

We passed 1km in formation as we headed north up the promenade around Portsmouth harbour. This was the low-tide version of the race: lots of rotting seaweed - lovely! There was a stiff breeze blowing into our faces, wafting the sweet perfume of methane, bad egg, cabbage and a hint of ambergris. I've not sampled Jade Goodey's new pefume - I wonder...?

The wind was going to cause problems with my pace plan. I was determined that this race was strictly against the clock. The club record stood at 20:35 - 1 second inside my track 5000m time. I needed to run each kilometre under 4:07. There was also the consideration of how close I could get to 20:00 or 4:00/kilometre. We love making time targets for ourselves don't we? 20:00 for me though had special significance: on the Macmillan calculator a 20:00 5km predicts 3:14:58 for a marathon - my Abingdon target. I know you can't really predict marathons from 5k's but it's an intriguing target.

We passed 1km in 4:05 - on target for the record but a bit behind 20:00. The wind was making it tough to go much faster though so I contented myself sitting with Kim and Tina. Kim had other ideas though and started pulling away. Soon she was several places ahead, but I didn't feel confident to go with her pace despite my 20:00 target. The second kilometre came up in 4:09 - the wind was taking its toll.

Kim was still getting away but I sensed Tina was slowing a little so I pushed ahead of her. I guess I had the confidence of already having beaten Tina. As we turned away from the wind I felt better and sensed the gap to Kim starting to shrink a little. As we looped around the Lido I had to jostle my way round a guy who seemed all elbows. This was the twisty turny part of the course - chances were I was going to lose a little time. As we turned back into the wind, Kim seemed strong again and I was no longer closing. I think my height puts me at a disadvantage in the wind.

3km came up at 4:07 - back on record pace - just!

We now turned back out of the wind as we made our way round the lake. More twisty turny bits and we were back on the promenade with Kim getting ever closer.

4km: 4:00 - that's better. I was now on Kim's shoulder.

Should I hold back and wait for my moment to overtake Kim? I reminded myself I was against the clock and pushed on past Kim. It wasn't a particularly decisive move, but I felt strong and started to pick off others as I tried to pick up my pace in the final kilometre.

We entered the park for the final 400m run in, more twisty turny, and I positioned myself for the final run to the finish funnel that I spotted the other side of the flower bed. Push, push, push, oh bugger! The finish line was actually another 100m away down the far corner of the park. I guess I should have done my homework. I tried to keep my pace going as 2 people I'd just overtaken came past me - oops!

With a final kilometre of 3:58, I crossed the line in 20:22 - a new club ladies' overall record.

It was a quality field: Lucy Elliot broke Karen Hazlitt's course record by 30 seconds with a 16:30ish (from memory). Toby Lambert was beaten into 2nd place in the men, by a Belgrave Harrier, whose name escapes me - sorry! (Quality journalism here!)

It appears I was the first W40, but I don't think I get a prize for that as the prizes are awarded for the series, this being the 3rd and final race.

Not a bad evening's work, but I still want that 20:00! Some people are never satisfied!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic run Susie, and a great race report as usual. You are really flying, girl!