Friday, August 04, 2006

Mile reps

I occasionally blog individual training sessions when they are significant, and last night was one of those.

The club session was mile reps, which fitted well with my plans. The challenge laid down to me by Mike Gratton was to do the reps at 5k pace. That would be 4 miles of running at a pace I could only sustain for 3 miles if done in one go. Tough!

Apparently this was a session Seb Coe would do - 4 * 1600m at 5k pace with 90 second recoveries. His 5k was 13:20 though - 4:17/mile - so a little bit quicker than my 6:36/mile. I decided to do them off 3-minute recoveries - 90 seconds being a tad ambitious for my first attempt at 5k pace miles.

We had a freshly marked out-and-back mile course, courtesy of my surveyor's wheel. Armed with my Garmin I aimed at 6:30/mile and off I went in the heat.

The first few went OK, but my jog recoveries were becoming more walk recoveries with each rep. I struggled for the 3rd and was doubting I could do a 4th, but I had Bernie as a hare to chase. I pushed hard down the last 400m - I did it!

Times:
6:36
6:41
6:40
6:38

I think the turnaround at 800m slowed me by a few seconds, so I hit my target pretty well. The Garmin was measuring long, as it was generally reading 6:30/mile.

I have a 5k road race next week. Bring it on!

I love the satisfaction of nailing a tough session!

No comments: