Monday, June 26, 2006

Weekly summary - 17 weeks to go

Wow, what a week! No racing, but boy did I do some training! The Tuesday hill run was seriously hilly: 500ft straight up Butser Hill and straight back down again - the Grand Old Duke of York session I think someone called it. That left my quads quite sore for the Thursday mile reps, but I ran them strongly. There then followed a slight blood sugar crisis as I failed to eat enough to replenish my glycogen stocks after the mile reps, but I recovered to run my strongest Sunday run yet: I kept my HR below 75% of max for the duration yet was touching 8:00/mile in the final miles - I just kept getting quicker through the run.

The Sunday run was only slightly marred by my Garmin Forerunner 305 glitching again. It seems it can't handle trees after it's been running 90 minutes - it loses reception and never regains it: I had to stop and reset it. It's done this to me at Boston and Isle of Wight marathons; before Sunday these were the only really long runs I'd done with the Garmin. I wish Garmin would answer my emails!

Sunday was finished with my first ever Sunday double: an evening short loosener of 4 gentle miles. I've started reading the autobiography of Dick Beardsley, the co-winner of the first London Marathon. He describes the second Sunday loosener as a 'shag run'.

So last week I hit my highest mileage post-Boston, did my first ever week with 4 doubles, my first Sunday double, and finished it all with a shag!

Monday5.4 milesEasy run 
Tuesday9.9 milesam: 4 miles easy pm: Club run 5.9 miles ave HR 131bpm 76%maxHRRan up and down Butser Hill: 500ft climb. Splits: 8:36 7:27 12:41 7:11 8:36 8:17
Wednesday6.4 milesam: Easy run 9:01 118bpm 
Thursday11 milesam: 4 miles easy pm:7 miles 4*1-mile reps 3 min rectimes: 6:59 7:01 6:57 7:05 max HR 151bpm
Friday10 milesam: 4 miles easy pm: 6 miles steady 8:52 117bpm 
Saturday5.5 milesSteady run but pushed the pace a little4th mile 8:24 121bpm, 5th 8:05 126bpm - pace looking good
Sunday19.4 milesam:15.4 miles steady 8:19 125bpm 72%maxHR pm: 4 miles easyWas touching 8:00/mile for last few miles of long run - fastest yet for such a low HR
Total67.6 miles  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, the cat is finally out of the bag - sub-3:15 at Abingdon and a Championship place at London 2007.

You really deserve this - you have worked so hard over the past year or so and your improvement has been fantastic.

Although we have been metaphorically running side by side to date in terms of our goals and times, this is the point at which you start to outsprint me. I would race you to the line, were it not for my tiny passenger.

But I'll be following your progress with interest, and racing vicariously through you. I can no longer think about tempo or speed sessions, much less PBs, but I will be 'training' for my own very personal marathon scheduled for sometime in late February/early March.