Monday, May 15, 2006

Sweet revenge - the Alton 10

Are there ever certainties in life?

The usual suspects were assembled at another Hampshire Road Race League event. With the Isle of Wight marathon only 1 week away, I was going to run this race at marathon effort (145bpm) so as not to overdo it. On the hilly Alton 10 course it was a good bet that:

Ruth would have another fine run and finish minutes ahead of me (I had to push exceptional hard at Eastleigh to beat her).

Mark would finally get a chance to beat me as I was taking it easy.

Richard (16 years old and still inexperienced) would hare off into the distance and explode spectacularly at half way.

I would be well down on my Hayling 10 PB of 1:17:09, set on a pancake flat course.


We headed off, and as expected Ruth and Richard sped off into the distance and out of site. Mark followed them with Graham not far behind. I was surprised that more weren’t in front of me, as I thought I was taking it easy.

(I tend to not mention the really fast guys in our club, but I never see them in races – they are out of sight as soon as the gun goes.)

I remembered this course from a few years back as ‘not that hilly’, even though I managed to run out of steam at only half way. Memory can play tricks! The uphills are not too bad, although some are big enough to add a minute onto your mile splits, but there are some killer downhills! I tried to free-wheel downhill, speeding up considerably, but couldn’t quite control my heart rate. I was able to keep the HR under control uphill, but it was downhill that it was raised. I think that is a good approach to hills though: you claim back downhill almost what you lose on the uphill.

After a few miles I overtook Graham. Malcolm, though I didn’t know it at the time, was just behind me. He reckoned I took off at 4 miles, although I reckon I was running a fairly even effort. Certainly from mile 3 onwards my HR was fairly even, just a beat above the target marathon pace of 145bpm.

Half way came at 38:25 – I was running controlled and inside PB pace! I knew that it was a net uphill to the finish, so shouldn’t build my hopes. This was about scoring for the team, and leaving myself fresh for the Isle of Wight, not about setting PBs!

Some things are certain, and at 6 miles there was Richard going a lot slower. Will he ever learn? Another young scalp for me [evil cackle]. Maybe I was a little harsh on him in my Totton report! As I passed, he revealed he had stitch. The tables were turned: that’s usually my problem! I passed on some advice: push your fist into the troubled area, try to tense the affected muscle, lean into it, breathe out on the other side, exhale sharply… I wished him luck and pressed on ahead of him.

These youngsters don’t know when to give in! He stuck with me as if attached to my shoulder. When will these young pups learn? His explosion, delayed for a mile or two, is going to be all the more spectacular!

Another mile and I spotted Mark up ahead. At the start I’d told him he would finally beat me, and I believed this to be true, knowing my pace plan. It would be fun to beat him though! I’d done a relaxed 7 miles, so a bit of effort for the last 3 miles wouldn’t hurt. I’d noticed I’d dropped below PB pace, and I was having naughty PB thoughts. It will also be a chance to shake this limpet off my shoulder. Oh dear, that red mist is coming down again!

I allowed myself to push a bit uphill as a form of damage limitation on my dropping pace. I tried to keep it relaxed on the flat and downhill, where I was nicely ahead of PB pace. That sticky youngster was still glued firmly to my shoulder though, even through the steep and fast bit around 8 miles!

Not far to go now and Mark was within range. At the final downhill section, I called on my fluid stride to float me past his lumbering gait. I’m sure I must have delighted him to see me flying past on winged heels. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him afterwards but I’m sure he’ll congratulate me next time he sees me. Tee-hee. Sorry Mark!

There still remained the vexing question of Richard and his poor pacing. He was still there, glued, stitched, welded and riveted to my shoulder. At least the last mile was mostly uphill and my fresh, experienced, 44-year-old pins would be able to power me ahead of his inexperienced lactate-ridden skinny young legs.

I was pushing quite hard now! At least we were a good advert for Victory AC age and gender unity, powering along the road, roared on by the townsfolk of Alton (well the same 3, anyway, that cheered us away at the start).

We turned into the school for the final 100m run in.

I was humbled.

Apparently someone must have stuck a rocket up Richard as we turned the last corner. He took off at an amazing speed! Revenge was sweet, but just as sweet for me watching him. I waved a gesture of resignation at him and ran in with a smile a mile wide. There was really no point whatsoever in me trying to follow him. I hope we can nurture all that natural speed!

Well done Richard. Brilliant running!

It was nice meeting on-line training buddy Vamps after the race. After several near misses we finally met. Another virtual pal made flesh.


Almost forgot. My result? Unofficial as yet, but my watch made it 1:16:43 - another PB by 30 seconds. For an average heart rate of 147bpm, a nice and easy 85% of max, I’m rather pleased. It’s looking good for the Isle of Wight, and a nice bit of hill practice into the bargain.


Oh, and Ruth beat me by two and a half minutes. There are some certainties!

2 comments:

Windsurfin' Susie said...

Just updated my official time and gave Ruth a bigger margin.

I should also mention the other girls Amanda, Marilyn, Carol and Nicola for another great team peformance!

beanz said...

another great report - wish I could remember the detail when I get back!