Sunday, November 27, 2005

Hayling 10

I raced the Hayling 10 today, and tried to stick to the 7:30 pace I said I would. It was tough! I'm claiming I had a bad day, but I'm not sure I'll get away with that.

It was cold - around 3 degrees initially. I agonised over what to wear, but went for vest and lycra shorts ( a bit of cover for my cold quads) with hat, gloves and some rather fetching arm warmers a la Constantina Dita-Tomescu. From the start I felt comfortable, but I could feel that all was not well with my stomach. I felt bloated. I'd had too big a breakfast, and knew that this didn't bode well - stitch is always a looming spectre with me.

I kept to my pace plan for the first few miles, running shoulder to shoulder with young Richard, doing his first 10-miler, who'd been told to run with me (!) - he was certainly sticking to his task. After 3 or 4 miles though, the rumblings of stitch were starting to surface, and I had to try to belly breath and lean in to it. I just about managed to keep it in control. I was doing better than Richard though who now started to lag. He finished well though, not far behind.

I was warmed up now though and tried to hit spectator Sara in the face with my hat - drat - missed!

5 miles and we turned back along the seafront for 2 miles of running into the wind. It wasn't too strong, but it did make a difference. I slowed to nearly 8:00/mile in those 2 miles. It was drizzly and cold too!

Now why did the guy in the grey and yellow sweatshirt keep surging? He came belting past me at 6 miles then slowed down. I caught him 3 or 4 times and each time he'd put in a ridiculous surge. Had he been reading too much about elite racing tactics? I beat him by a fair bit in the end, so perhaps he'll learn a lesson.

As we turned away from the wind at the end of the seafront, the running became a lot easier and I sped up once more. I felt good! Then I felt really bad! Dreadfully bad stitch hit me like a punch in the gut. I really wanted to stop! I did all the things I could think of - breathing, leaning, massage, pushing my fist hard in my gut, and slowing, but it stayed with me to the finish. It got a little easier and I got back on pace by the last mile. Why do I get stitch so often? I'm very careful not to drink within 2 hours of the start. I think on this occasion though I simply had too much breakfast. Lesson learnt?

At the finish my watch read 1:17:07. A PB by nearly 3 minutes. So I'm pleased right? Well I ought to be, but I know I can go faster. My heart rate dropped during the stitch as my pace slackened. The result: an average of 154bpm - the same as at Lordshill - I didn't managed to go any quicker HR wise.

Right, technical time. What is my equivalent 1 hour heart rate? The Runner's World race pace predictor says that I'll do 7.89 miles in 1 hour dead. That's a pace of 7:36 compared to my Hayling pace of 7:43. My pace vs HR relationship is a 40secs/mile pace improvement for every 10bpm HR rise. So that's an extra 2 bpm if running for just 1 hour. So my lactate threshold is 156bpm - again the same as Lordshill. Consistent!

I still think I can go faster!

To compound my 'disappointment', my friend and team mate Ruth had a fantastic run - she was 5 minutes ahead of me. Another good team result I hope: Gina way out ahead, Ruth second point scorer, and me in third. (No results as yet)

I still think I could have done better!

Oh well, off to the pub for a commiseration drink and to bid Sara farewell for her 6 months in Oz. Bob then dropped the bombshell. I had won a bronze medal in the over-40s in the Hampshire championships! That's my first ever prize outside the club!

OK, maybe I had quite a good day after all!

No comments: