Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Weekly summary - 1 week to go

I think I've finally discovered the cause of the tight adductor. I found that my glutes were very tight on Sunday before the race and I managed to loosen them a bit before the race. Subsequently my adductor wasn't an issue. Tightening of the glutes next to the sacrum causes your knees to move outwards (try it!), so the adductors may have been working harder to pull my legs back into line. My glutes haven't been massaged since Boston - my sports massage therapist tends to concentrate on my legs. I've now have a couple of DIY goes, lying on a tennis ball, and it seems to have helped. I have my last massage, before the Isle Of Wight Marathon, on Thursday so hopefully everything can be finally sorted out then.

Other than that, I've had an excellent week. I feel very much back on form. In addition to the Alton 10 I also 'raced' our club long handicap, getting under the hour for the first time and yet running well within myself at 140bpm - below marathon effort. The new course isn't particularly quick either as there are 4 footbridges, 12 gates and plenty of off-road. Looking good!

Monday5 milesEasy run 
Tuesday7 milesam: Massage. pm: Tempo run. Miles 4,5,6 7:50 136bpm, 7:20 152bpm, 7:30 152bpm.Really enjoyed the run, with clubmate, but adductor tight again - came on mid run!
Wednesday6 milesSteady run 8:49 120bpmHot! Lovely day! Had to slow the last mile down to avoid HR rising too high as I was starting to cook. Adductor OK!
Thursday9.3 milesClub long handicap race - 7.54 miles 59:58 7:57/mile 140bpmKept it at marathon effort. Hot! Adductor tight again, but eased a bit after a few miles
Friday5.75 milesEasy pace 9:14 112bpm 
Saturday5 milesEasy run 9:21 113bpmStill aware of my adductor, but it's getting better (again!). Warm!
Sunday10 milesAlton 10 
Total48 miles  

1 comment:

beanz said...

have a great run at IoW