Monday, September 05, 2005

Weekly summary - 5 weeks to go

A tough week! It started poorly with the Bank Holiday. Being a holiday, I spent a lot of time out and about, resulting in less rest and less sleep than I'd normally have at a weekend. I felt very tired Monday evening, and decided it was best that I didn't go for a run, particularly the 11 mile scheduled speed session!

I felt considerably better Tuesday and managed 15 miles easily, but then it was late to bed and early to rise for a 6 miler. I then spent a very stressful day at work, making up for the lost time of the Bank Holiday. I sat all day at my desk, not stretching my legs, and not drinking enough. By the evening run my calves were very tight, but I figured a gentle 4 miles wouldn't hurt. Wrong! I tweaked my left peroneus longus (outside of the leg down to the ankle). I could feel it on Thursday, so decided to cut my run short. It felt worse on Friday, so rest was called for, plus a little self-massage.

This was all entirely avoidable, had I got more rest at the weekend, but in the end I was very sensible, and avoided any major problems. By Saturday my leg felt OK and I completed my long marathon pace run without problem. Mind you, it was agony in the heat - one of the toughest runs I've done. Shame I can't use the pace/heart rate data as any measure of fitness. I'm assuming Cardiff will be cooler!

Sunday this time was serious rest. Late rising, no gym, meet my friends for breakfast after their run, midday nap, watch a DVD, watch the Hydro-Active 5k on tele, another DVD, early to bed. Problem solved. Ready for next week!

MondayRest Bank holiday - feeling tired - too much non-running activity!
Tuesday14.7 milesSlow runFelt good, considering!
Wednesday9.7 miles5.9 miles am, 3.8 miles pmCalves feeling very tight
Thursday6 milesSlow runTaking it easy. Cut run short - leg feeling iffy
FridayRest Paying the price for a stressful week and little quality rest at the weekend
Saturday17 miles14 miles at marathon effortVery hot - pace dropped considerably, but kept HR at marathon levels
SundayRest Proper rest this weekend!
Total47.4 miles  

No comments: