Tuesday, June 28, 2005

From Hell

I had the worst training run ever tonight.

The plan was to run home, so I caught the bus in to work. My back was still aching from yesterday, but it seemed better and as it hadn't caused me a problem during yesterday's run, I figured it would be OK. It didn't get any better during the day, but seemed no worse than at times in the past, and as it usually eases off during the run, I thought I'd be OK.

I set off to rumbles of thunder - not a good sign! I was uncomfortable - not in any real pain, but a very stiff back and a rather tight feeling in the hamstring. After 2 miles it hadn't eased, and with the continued rumbles and flashes, I decided it was prudent to stick to the main route short cut and not venture into the remoter parts of the marshes I was running across - partly to cut the mileage down, and partly to avoid being caught in a thunderstorm miles from assistance.

My back was not getting any better and my hamstring still felt kind of tight. Now my stomach decided to chip in. I've been suffering a bit with irritable bowel lately during high mileage - not serious but enough to cause some stomach cramps. I now found myself looking for a suitable loo stop, but unfortunately everywhere was either too public or too nettled. It was touch and go, but I decided I'd try to make it to the public loos at 6 miles.

Then, as I got to within half a mile of the loos, it felt like my hamstring went. It was a sharp tingly pain down the back of my leg. I suspected it was sciatica caused by a trapped nerve in my back, but I wasn't going to risk continuing - I had no choice but walk. Fortunately, there was no pain walking, but it meant a longer wait for the loo. Finally I made it. No loo paper! Fortunately I had some tissues with me. All was well and I continued on my way.

I was still 4 miles from home - I'd only done 6.5 miles of the planned 13. I was OK walking but every time I tried running, the pain returned. I carried on for a while, but now it started to rain more heavily. I passed a bus stop and noticed the next bus was due - 18:20. I decided to wait for the bus.

I stood there in the now torrential rain, with flashes of lightning all around. I was getting cold, but it wasn't too bad. After 10 minutes, I checked the timetable again - I'd mis-read it! What I hadn't noticed under the "20 minutes past the hour" was the next part of the timetable: "until 18:05". The next bus wasn't due until 18:35. It was still worth waiting though, as I was still over an hour from home. At 18:45 it finally arrived to pick up one drowned rat injured runner. Aaagh!!! It was the wrong bus!

I should explain that due to the geographical peculiarities of where I live, there are 2 buses which alternate down the common part of the route, and then split into a loop, one bus going clockwise and the other going anti-clockwise. Both buses get me home, but this one was going to take an extra 20 minutes to get me home. I verified this fact with the driver and boarded - I had no choice. It would have been quicker to have not waited but carried on walking though!

I got chatting with another passenger and confirmed that the expected bus had never arrived, and this one was effectively 40 minutes late. There were a lot of disgruntled passengers. He could see I was soaked, and offered me a jumper - what a gent! I wasn't cold though, so politely declined.

I suspect the driver had overheard our conversation about the missing bus. As we got to the point where the 2 routes separate, rather than turn left as would be expected for the number on the front of the bus, it went straight on - the expected route given the time of day. I was quite happy about this, as were a lot of passengers, but there were equal numbers of rather angry passengers who realised they were now going to get home 20 minutes later than expected. A passenger got up to complain to the driver, who confessed he'd made a mistake with the number on the front. The argument continued as I got to my stop and left them to it. Home at last!

My back actually feels not too bad now, particularly after applying ice. I think the hamstring problem was sciatica, so hopefully this won't set me back.

I hope I don't have a run like that again!

1 comment:

beanz said...

what a dreadful experience

hope you are now fully recovered.