Sunday, May 08, 2005

DK10K

I've been away for a few days with my folks, so a few catch up postings to do. Last Wednesday May 4th (Star Wars day - I hope I don't have to explain that one!) I did the DK10K road race.

I knew nothing of this race until online pal Plodding Hippo suggested I do it, knowing that it's local to where my folks live. I enquired of PH what DK10K was and back came the reply "Dudloi" - this amused me. DK10K is the Dudley Kingswinford 10k. Dudley may conjure up an image of the industrialised Black Country with its smoke and open cast mining, but this couldn't be further from the truth. Its name actually comes from the Dudley Kingswinford Rugby Club where the race is based. It's quite a way from Dudley, located in Wall Heath, where the built up West Midlands gives way to the lush countryside of Shropshire.

The race is really well organised - the rugby club is the perfect venue with facilities aplenty. At over 1000 runners, it's the largest midweek race in the Midlands. The course undulates through some lovely countryside - completely rural. I'm in danger of sounding like a publicist at this point - it's a nice race!

I met up with Plodding Hippo before the race, and decided to run with her. I knew my pace was much quicker than hers and so this was an opportunity to save my legs for the relay race in 3 days' time (more on this in a subsequent posting) - I was in no mood for 2 full-on races so soon after the marathon. My race was spent chatting away at the back of the field - a pleasant way to spend a Wednesday evening.

Despite having chatted to PH often on the Runner's World forums (fora?), we'd never met. It was lovely to meet, chat, and put a face to a virtual pal. I enjoyed the race immensely and will definitely do it again. PH got near to her PB and didn't let any of the hilly bits stop her - not bad so soon after back to back marathons! Thanks PH for introducing me to a great race - see you in Cardiff!

1 comment:

b-z said...

I know a nice off road 10k in the area in june-tee hee