Sunday, November 28, 2004

I'm in!!!

I've called this Blog 'Running towards London', but until yesterday I wasn't actually sure that my entry had been accepted. I had a reasonable idea, as my cheque was cashed in the first wave on the 29th October. Despite me bequeathing my entry, this was a strong indication that I had been selected in the first ballot - useful source of info those Runner's World forums!

I have my own theories of how the ballot is done. A purely random ballot would result in a natural peak of finishers around the most common finish time - I'm guessing this would be around 4:30, maybe less. Far better would be a steady stream of finishers with no large peak, to avoid congestion at the finish and en route. Your estimated finish time is declared on the outside of the envelope. It seems reasonable to assume that this piece of information is used for the ballot. I'd imagine there are quotas for each time slice. If you put down a fast, less popular, time then you stand a better chance of getting in.

I've been exceptionally lucky as I've got in through the ballot 3 years in a row. Last year I missed out in the main ballot, but got in through the second ballot - even luckier! This year I'm aiming for a faster time - 3:30 if possible, but I'm aiming for at least (or should that be most?) 3:45 to get a 'Good For Age'. My declaration of 3:30-3:45, code D on the entry envelope, may well have been a factor in my ballot success. Hopefully by achieving 3:45 I won't have to go in the ballot next year, having achieved a guaranteed place.

As you've probably gathered by now, my acceptance letter arrived yesterday.

Flora London Marathon April 17th 2005

I'm in baby, I'm in!!!

No comments: