Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Drink plenty of fluids

Have you ever thought this is an odd thing to say to someone with a cold? Let's look at the dictionary:

flu·id
noun (plural flu·ids)
1. liquid: anything liquid ( not used in technical contexts )
2. physics chemistry liquid or gas: a substance such as a liquid or gas whose molecules flow freely, so that it has no fixed shape and little resistance to outside stress

Could this be any more non-specific? Even "Drink plenty of liquids" would be better advice. Has anyone considered that plain old air is a fluid?
"Luvvy, I can really recommend a good swig of Domestos - it kills 99% of all throat germs, you know!"
"Darling, I always like a daily shot of motor oil - it keeps me regular as clockwork!"
Yeah right!


I've resolved that breathing is probably a good thing. As I can't actually get any through my nose, I will definitely be drinking in that lovely oxygen fluid.

Bah humbug. I hate being ill. Three days so far without training, and a race looming at the weekend. Why oh why did I post: "Relief! I have a cold"?

No comments: