Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Another double

I'm not going to blog every double I do, but they are still a novelty and I'm particularly pleased with this one.

Unlike last week when I'd had a rest day (gym) the day before, and a really good night's sleep, this one followed straight on from a tough evening run. Last night I did a very hilly 14 miles (for someone living on the coast, flat as a pancake for 5 miles around, I'm getting more than enough hills lately!). I got home at 8:30pm, had just enough time to stretch, eat, and shower, before it was time for bed at 9:30pm. Having only just eaten, I didn't have that good a night's sleep, but I guess I got 8 hours sleep before getting up at 6am for the first half of the double.

Only a few months ago, I would have had to leave at least 24 hours, preferably a rest day, after a 14-miler before considering another run. I had a certain trepidation about following up a hard run so soon, particularly as my calves felt quite tight when I got up in the middle of the night (bedsocks time!).

I felt great! 6 gentle miles. I even did the 6 100m sprints stipulated in the schedule. Best of all I had a lovely run along the seashore in the only sunshine of the day. Yes, sunshine! Only 2 hours later the rain arrived and stayed all day.

My second run this evening was wet. The 4 miles passed pretty easily though.

Job's a gud'un!

2 comments:

beanz said...

what no excitements ;>)

well done on the doubles

I am just thinking about going to consecutive days having twice got injured by doing too much!

Windsurfin' Susie said...

Go for it Beanz! As long as you add easy days of 70%maxHR, I reckon it's a way of AVOIDING injury.