Friday, May 09, 2008

Portsmouth Promenade 5k Race 1

This was a last minute decision. That's a truly rare event in the Windsurfin'Susie world of running. Usually things are meticulously planned: key races identified and schedules shaped, training planned around other races where points are needed for the team, and, if the schedule permits or requires it, sharpeners identified which help bring me to a peak for the target races.

After last year's injury, I had a score to settle. I was placed well in the Promenade 5k after 2 races, with all to play for in the last race, and a prize up for grabs. My little pole-vaulting come over-training, come bizarre gym psoas minor tear incident put paid to all that.

I wanted to do the series, but with under a week to go till the first race my legs were still feeling the effects of the London Marathon. While still hopeful I'd be recovered in time, how would the 5k sit with me doing the Alton 10, 2 weeks before the Edinburgh Marathon, followed by a 3000m 6 days before the marathon? While I had no doubt I could recover from any one of these races, I wasn't so sure running them all flat out would leave me time to recover and be properly fresh for Edinburgh. After much debate, I finally decided that running a hilly 10-mile race flat out only 2 weeks before a marathon and only 4 weeks after the previous marathon was not such a good idea. Alton would be run at marathon effort, the track 3000m on the Monday before Edinburgh would be run flat out as my last bit of speedwork, and the Promenade 5k was on.

There have been some minor alterations to the course this year due to the new swimming pool slowly emerging from the ground at the Mountbatten Centre. One course alteration happened at the very last minute when the council decided to dig up the path into the park, leaving us with a very sharp left turn with 200m to go. As race plans have to be lodged with the authorities in order to get a race permit, why are race organisers never consulted over planned road works? The Bramley 20 was cancelled this year when the village was dug up with very little notice. Is it no wonder that road races are under threat?! At least the parking was OK despite the building works and the cycle race taking place in the stadium.

Back to the race though, and what a contrast to the weather of last year! Gone were the howling gales and we had ourselves a beautiful hot summer's spring evening - too hot for any distance over 5k, but perfect weather for this race. It was lovely being able to stand around with most of one's flesh exposed (and in my case just about as much as I could legally get away with) without feeling cold. A nice bit of heat acclimatisation in case Edinburgh is warm. (At the moment the forecast for Edinburgh is cool and damp, ie perfect, not that you can trust such a long range forecast.)

I hadn't tapered for this race, and in fact was treading the fine line between the need to recover from London and getting some final hard training in before tapering for Edinburgh. I wasn't expecting much from the race except some solid points on the board and the hope of at least beating last year's time of 21 minutes in the strong winds. Talking to Havant team mate Jane before the race (I was in my first claim Victory colours tonight) I thought that maybe I could keep up with her. Once the gun went though it was quite obvious she was still her usual speedy self as she steadily pulled away from me. I noticed that Stubbington Susie was keeping pace with her though, confirming my suspicions that she's come on quite well recently. I'll have to train hard this summer if I'm to keep pace with them!

I managed to keep a good pace going, but without a prospect of catching the AFD woman ahead of me I admit I settled back a bit in the 4th kilometre. A final push though saw me across the line in a reasonable 20:42. I was left questioning whether I should have tapered (I'd done 6 miles the night before and hadn't rested for 10 days), as my heart rate data made it quite clear that I should have been a place higher and nearly a minute quicker, but I guess I've now got a target for next time. The fact that my 5k PB is now 2 years old is starting to get to me. Oh dear, if I'm not competing with those around me I'm competing with my own times!

There were some good runs from team mates Richard, Richard and Jo. Well done too to local star Karrie for being first lady. I haven't seen the other results yet to know how the others got on. Thanks go to TR, Dave and Gina (marshalling) for their much appreciated support, and to Lynne, Pete, Gerry and the team for another great race.

As a social event, it was very enjoyable, bumping into on-line friends, chatting sports science to fellow coaches, renewing acquaintances with other runners.

Now was it really Bradley Wiggins I spotted watching the cycle racing?

No comments: