Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pompey played up, Susie sweated.

"One more - come on!!" "Uggh! Aaaah! F**k! F****k!! F*********k!!!".

These were the sounds almost drowning out my earphones, as I tried to watch the FA Cup Final from the sanctuary of a treadmill set at 11.3kph.

12 miles of easy but hot and sweaty running and your local team wins 1-0. It's not often I watch a football match, but that's one hell of a good way to watch one, ignorant brutes aside.

Once the brutes had departed, the gym was 100% female, perhaps not surprisingly. I found it odd that there seemed to be little interest in the football though - most of the personal TV screens showing music videos and feature films - I thought there would at least be an academic interest in a major local event.

At the final whistle though the woman opposite me let out a polite "yeah!" with a raised fist, before pulling her hand down with an apologetic smile. That small gesture made my day - very amusing.

What a contrast to the foul-mouthed brutes of the first half!

1-0 to Pompey. A polite "yeah!" to that!

No comments: