Sunday, April 06, 2008

A tale of 2 cities: Totton 10k 2008

I had a shock when I looked out of the window this morning.

I'd had a leisurely breakfast, showered, and had pretty much got ready to leave for the race before I opened the curtains. I saw a scene I've never seen before in my 20 years on the south coast: blizzard conditions! I scraped 4" of snow off the car and set out for Totton in extremely unsafe conditions, with cars crawling along the M27 in the worst snow I've ever driven in (and I lived in France once, driving regularly to the Alps!). Changing lane was really not the thing to do as you had to drive through the ridge of snow on the white line, but I really hadn't got time to wait behind someone doing 15mph on the motorway! The traffic report on the radio painted a picture of doom saying that conditions were nearly impassable nearer Totton between junctions 4 and 6. This was starting to worry me!

I got to the dreaded junction 6 to find the snow had stopped falling, the road was clear and there was just a sprinkling of snow by the side of the road. I arrived in Totton in plenty of time to find the sun starting to show itself, making the light dusting of snow on top of the hedgerows sparkle. Quite a contrast.

Having feared that the race would be cancelled, we now had pretty good conditions, albeit a tad chilly. Trouble was, did we have a team? A lot of my club mates had decided to take the advice offered on the radio and stay at home. Oh dear!

We just managed to field a men's and women's team but there were a lot of no-shows. This was going to bias the race rather unfairly against those from the Portsmouth area. Southampton's revenge for Harry Redknapp taking Pompey to the cup final?


The race plan for me remained unaltered. After last year's fiasco in the heat, this was going to be strictly marathon pace, saving myself for London next week. I warmed up for a couple of easy miles and lined up in all my winter woollies: hat, gloves, leggings, long sleeves - not my usual race apparel!

The race went well, and we finished in bright sunshine - what a contrast! I stuck to my game plan, keeping to marathon heart rate, with my pace spot on the 7:15/mile I need to do in London (I only need 7:25/mile for 3:15, but I always lose 10s/mile in London for whatever reason). John M was supporting from the roadside and pointed out I had a Winchester woman behind me, so I allowed myself a flourish in the last 300m, picking my pace and HR up somewhat.

I'd been just behind team mate Graham for much of the race, but couldn't quite close him down, sticking to my HR plan. He finished just ahead of me to become the first Victory man across the line, much to his surprise. If I'd allowed myself 1bpm more, I'd have been the first Victory runner over the line, male or female - an illustration of how depleted we were.

It was nice to meet an old friend afterwards, who I confess I didn't realise was a runner, as I jogged back down the field to add a couple of miles. Poor Lisa was struggling somewhat with an ankle problem.

We did get a men's and women's team result in the end, so well done to everyone for having the courage to press on out of Portsmouth. The race didn't seem unusually thin on numbers so I suspect we've been penalised somewhat by the hand of fate!


Here are my stats:
1 4:38 no HR 7:27/mile
2 4:30 140bpm 7:14/mile
3 4:29 141bpm 7:13/mile
4&5 4:32 144bpm 7:18/mile
6 4:30 144bpm 7:14/mile
7 4:30 145bpm 7:14/mile
8 4:32 146bpm 7:18/mile
9 4:42 145bpm 7:34/mile
10 4:11 148bpm 6:44/mile
Total 45:09 144bpm ave 7:16/mile
5th place W45

I was running in heavy shoes and full kit, so hopefully will be quicker still on marathon day, although these figures are exactly what I need (7:15/mile 144bpm). Also, I was a little heavy legged from doing some lab tests yesterday - more on this soon (boy, it was fun!). I've always claimed that fatigue doesn't affect my pace/HR relationship - let's hope I'm wrong and I'll find myself flying along in London - fingers crossed!

No comments: