Sunday, February 24, 2008

Saucony National Cross Country Championships 2008

Liz Yelling opens up what became a huge lead:
Liz Yelling opens her lead
Here she crests the hill for the first time. When I saw her crest the hill on the next lap I thought something was wrong - I didn't see any of the rest of the field!:
Liz Yelling crests the hill
It was a very steep hill!
Susie - ohh bu**er! Look at that hill!
Get a load of that arm action:
Susie
Marilyn goes up in style:
Marilyn
The men's field:
The men's field
Mike concentrates:
Mike
John beats the hill:
John
Graham unfortunately had to retire after returning too soon after illness:
Graham
Tom Humphries opens up a lead to go on to win:
Tom Humphries
Mike Skinner ulitmately finished 5th:
Mike Skinner
Neil crests the hill working hard:
Neil
That was my first National XC, and it was a great experience. It was nice to bump into a couple of old chums, Tigger's Mate Roo and Ratcatcher. It's a shame I didn't get to see Steph Twell win the juniors (easily too, judging by the results). I did see Liz Yelling on her way to a big win (I never actually saw the 2nd place runner as she was so far behind!), but it would have been nice to watch the race - I'd have loved to see how the elites ran the hill - it was only a 100m long but very steep!

Alton Towers is a good venue. The weather was dry and conditions good underfoot, but I'd hate to think what that course would be like if it had rained a lot - I reckon it would have been a quagmire.

Many thanks to Alex and Carol for their support and photography skills. Further thanks to Alex for driving. Well worth the trip!

No comments: