Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Southern Vets League Woking: 1500m

I did my best age-graded performance ever last night:
1500m 5:26.7 - 79.6% age graded

I finished 4th, winning the B-string race.

This was the closest track race I've done. I went out with the second group as Winchester elite Karen H went haring off in the lead as per usual. We did the first lap in 86s with my team mate Bev leading the pack with a Woking woman behind her, Winchester Jan (w50) and me following very closely. We then slowed a bit and we bunched right up in a tight box formation 2 abreast. I wondered about taking the lead but lacked the confidence to do this, so just sat there on the shoulder of Jan. I clipped her heel as we slowed - oops. 2nd lap was 89s - slower than I'd intended. Things then started to wind up a bit but we remained a tight pack right up to 200m. I then took Woking but Bev was already pulling away and she put in a very good sprint down the straight. I thought I could stick with Jan but she was too strong and I finished 3rd of the pack of 4, in 4th.

Despite the PB and the best age-graded performance so far, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't go for it on lap 2 as I might have knocked a second or 2 off and got the magic 80%. I might even have got a higher place, but it's hard to say. I did a negative split but I didn't have any kick at the end - just maintained my pace.

HR data/splits - I didn't get a 3rd lap split:
400m 86s 140bpm ave 150bpm max 5:44/mile
400m 89s 152bpm ave 153bpm max 5:56/mile
700m 152s 156bpm ave 159bpm max 5:47/mile

I know I'll be told my HR is too low, but I'm not sure you can read too much into such a short race. My HR went higher after the finish but I don't have the data as I hit stop on the watch.


Team-wise, we were leading right up to the last 2 events but lost out to Winchester. We still have a chance of making the finals though as we've only had 1st and 2nds, whereas Winchester have had a 3rd place.

Ceal was there in the 1500, running as a 50-year-old in a super vet Portsmouth team where their W35s were both over 50. I'm not sure how Ceal got on, but she lost out to the much younger Jan.

Marilyn was in loads of events including the 1500m, getting plenty of points. I wish I could have watched her triple jump - I think she won it.

Poor Neil looked done in at the end of the match having done the 1500m and 5000m and then the 800m leg of the medley relay (200m, 200m, 400m, 800m). He was soaking wet at the end of the 5000m, it being a very warm, humid night.

Loads of other good performance from Amanda, Dee, Shelagh, in fact everyone, but I don't have the results to hand.

Next round coming up on 9th July in Portsmouth. I'm doing the 5000m - a very painful experience, but hopefully one I'll only have to endure for less than 20 minutes. Who knows, maybe a double milestone: sub-20 and 80%+? Fingers crossed.

No comments: