Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Distance runners shouldn't do field events: discus! Southern Vets League 5000m

This is the one-year anniversary of my worst ever injury, after trying the pole vault last year led to 4 months out with a psoas minor tear/spasm.

To celebrate the anniversary, last night I thought I'd try another field event: the discus!

To be fair, the discus is a lot easier on the body than pole vault, and at least I'd done the discus before: 30 years before!

The really insane thing though is that once again I took to quite a technical event with ease and after a couple of 20m-plus throws and a no-throw, I threw 25.01m to win the event!

It took me years to attain the Athletics Weekly standards in running and finally see my name in the magazine, but on my first attempt at discus I attained the standard! That will see me ranked 9th W45 so far this year in the UK - higher than any of my running rankings! How mad is that?


Almost as a footnote really, I then ran 20:39.7 in the 5000m, finishing 1st B string runner and 3rd on the track behind Karen from Winchester and team-mate Bev. I was a bit disappointed with the time after my 20:13 on the road, but I've been feeling a bit under the weather recently after so much racing. My calves are still feeling sore!

My maximum haul of 15 points helped the supposedly under-strength team to an easy victory by a large margin. We've made the southern finals. Result!

No comments: